Swimming in an ocean of thoughts.....

Ask me no questions and i shall tell you no lies :)

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Whatsapp.....You shrunk the world ~ Social Media Bug

Whatsapp…..the first time I heard it, it kind of sounded what 'ssup, a slang for ‘what is going on in life’? Technically, it is an application that connects you with your friends and families no matter which corner of the world you or they reside in. Define it and I would say, “A seemingly real world where friends/families/acquaintances meet, chat, play or share funny anecdotes without seeing each other face to face!”




Whatever, I just entered this virtual world a couple of weeks before. And it took me just a couple of days to realize how this text-ing medium was changing me into a person I am not. Addiction, sudden change of priorities and laziness had crept in, without me realizing the change that came over me. And it all started with joining my school group that happens to have more than fifty members. What followed was a constant buzzing sound on my phone, day and night! Although I am not quite active on this application, I was sure fascinated by it as all first timers are. However slowly, the fizz of the gizmo started waning out for me as I realized how little by little it was eating into my schedule and day to day chores. And in less than a week, I un-joined the group. A friend later messaged me saying, “You could have muted the group, why did you leave?” Well, muting does not solve addiction. So I just replied, “I am just not into this stuff”. But it amazes me as to how technology can change you in more ways than one. People promptly reply on whatsapp but would fail to respond to calls or messages from near and dear ones. Working lot get time to ‘whatsapp’ each other once in every five minutes, while they crib on other social networking sites as to how busy their office life is that there is no sufficient time to even eat or sleep. Still, people claim that such social networking applications have shrunk the world and have brought people closer.


And if this claim were to be true, what is wrong with keeping in touch with old friends? Nothing!

What is wrong in using a technology that makes you happy as it gives you a diversion from a humdrum existence? Nothing!

Then why is it that somewhere something doesn't sound right! Has our thinking changed? Yes! Are people wrong? Well, the take is tough as the definition of right and wrong always varies from person to person. Probably it is the change. The change in socializing is yet to sink in as more often than not, we go with the flow without realizing how the change changes us. More so, because we always associate socializing with tweeting, text-ing, partying, exchanging jokes and puzzles over snack time or even having dinners together once in a blue moon. We do not realize that there is more to look out for in the real world than merely raising virtual cattle, or investigating virtual criminal cases on Internet. Socializing also means exploring new places, making new friends in the real world and even pursuing new hobbies. But most importantly, one needs to socialize with self too. One has to discover that exit point which helps him/her in venting out his/her negative emotions in a healthy manner, instead of lashing out on social network.

And before readers get judgmental, I am not against social networking/media. In fact, social networking has always inspired me in many ways and not forgetting to mention, positively. It inspired me to blog. It got me great friends too. Through this media, I have got encouragement from people living across the world, from ones I know and the ones I don’t know. And that is when I realized that nothing is a bane as long as certain limits are not crossed. Only we need to know where the line demarcating the real and the unreal, is drawn. We need to know where to control our urges to react and when to make a point. And most importantly we need to know our priorities in life. Replying immediately, rather impulsively to a message is not important. Replying with sense after some thought is what matters. And then, ‘whatsapp-ing’ won’t be an addiction that springs out of a necessity to socialize! What say?                                                                                                                                                                                                           

P.S: I am still on Whatsapp. Only thing is I don't mute groups now. I put myself in mute mode :) And one more thing, the above views are solely mine. So people who feel offended with my post, may kindly put themselves in mute mood too :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home